Rain barrels are making a comeback in a big way. Historically, water has been considered a cheap resource in plentiful supply. This is no longer the case. But with rain barrels you can make better use of this vital resource many are wasting – rainwater. And rainwater is free!
Depending on your home’s roof area, a rain barrel will fill up with as little as 1/10th of an inch of rain. (based on the fact that 1 inch of rain on 1000 square feet of roof area equals about 625 gallons of water). Plants thrive on natural rainwater – no chlorine, ammonia, fluoride, or other chemicals added to municipal water systems.
Rain barrels do more than catch rainwater. While collecting water from the downspout these barrels also:
- Divert water from the municipal storm drain system
- Protect our rivers and streams from runoff pollution
- Control moisture levels around the foundation of your home
- Provide oxygenated, un-chlorinated water ideal for plants
- Direct overflow water to where you want it
- Save you money
- Conserve a vital natural resource